Our skin can be affected by numerous external and internal (systemic) factors. Everything from the environment—temperatures and humidity—to our lifestyle and comorbidities can contribute to dry, dehydrated, itchy, and uncomfortable skin.
Dry Skin Relief Starts With a Consultation
While we must evaluate your skin before making personal suggestions, there are some general dry skincare tips that can be incorporated into your skincare routine, especially as the seasons change and the air becomes drier:
- Use warm, not hot, water when showering or bathing
- Select gentle cleansers that are also free of irritating fragrances and other harsh ingredients
- Moisturize immediately after getting out of the shower and blot the skin dry. A gentle touch is best when drying the skin
- Use creams and ointments to help lock in and trap existing moisture
- Introduce additional moisture into the air with humidifiers that promote skin hydration and health
- Be mindful of the clothes that you wear and how you wash them. These may be areas of overlooked sources of skin inflammation (i.e., synthetic fabrics and scented laundry detergents). Look for natural materials and gentle laundry ingredients
In addition to self-care measures, consider a consultation with a board certified dermatology practice. Dr. Mitchell and her licenced medical team may need to prescribe medication based on their evaluation.
Schedule your consultation at one of our two Northwest Ohio locations. Call 419.871.3737 (Perrysburg) or 419.871.3636 (Fremont).
Share this Article